Can’t sleep? Chronic insomnia is unusually common, affecting more than 25-30 million individuals. Whether you’re experiencing a decrease in your concentration or activity level, or increased irritability, a significant amount of growing research has demonstrated the importance of learning cognitive-behavioral strategies to manage insomnia. These strategies are the key to regaining control of your sleep.
CBT-I (cognitive-behavioral therapy for insomnia) is the only scientifically proven non-drug insomnia treatment. CBT-I improves sleep in 70-80% of patients, is more effective than sleeping pills and reduces or eliminates sleeping pills in the vast majority of patients, and doubles the improvement rates of depression compared to antidepressant medication alone in depressed patients with insomnia.
Clinicians here at James Levine & Associates utilize the CBT-I program developed and tested at Harvard Medical School and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs in his work with over 10,000 insomnia patients over the past 25 years.
CBT has been endorsed by the National Institutes of Health as an effective and preferred method for treating insomnia. Research on CBT shows the following:
* 75% of insomnia patients experience significantly improved sleep
* The majority become normal sleepers
* 85- 90% reduce or eliminate sleeping pills
* CBT is more effective than sleeping pills
CBT achieves these results because it is based on the idea that insomnia can only be treated effectively by addressing the underlying causes of insomnia- thoughts and behaviors- which are learned and can be unlearned. Techniques taught in CBT include:
* changing sleep thoughts and behaviors
* lifestyle habits that improve sleep
* relaxation techniques
WHO WOULD BENEFIT
* individuals with problems falling asleep or waking during the night
* individuals who wish to reduce or eliminate sleep medications
CBT for insomnia includes:
* an initial individual assessment
* five individual treatment sessions over a six week period
CBT is covered by most insurance companies.